Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Kistler Law Firm, APC is a personal injury practice serving Lancaster, Palmdale, and the Antelope Valley. For the convenience of our clients and anyone in the local community who comes across our website, we provide the answers to some frequently asked questions, as well as links to several online resources. To speak with an experienced personal injury attorney regarding your specific legal concern, please contact Kistler Law Firm, APC to schedule a consultation.

What should I do if I’ve been in an accident?

Call 9-1-1 to notify the police and to request an ambulance, if necessary. Then, try to write down all the information you can about the accident, including your exact location, where you were going, people with you in the car, the weather, and the time of day. From the other driver, take down his or her name, address, driver’s license number, insurance information, and anything else that may be relevant. Identify any witnesses to the scene and try to get their information.

What if I am partly to blame for the accident?

California does not bar recovery for personal injuries even if the person seeking compensation is partially to blame for the accident. Rather, courts assess liability in proportion to fault. This means that if you are determined to be 20% at fault and the other driver is 80% at fault in an accident, you can recover compensation but your reward will be reduced by 20%. Comparative negligence cases can be complex, so it is important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney before pursuing your claims.

What should I do if I’ve been arrested for DUI or another offense?

To ensure your rights are protected, contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as you are able to do so. Cooperate with law enforcement by giving your name, address, and showing identification if asked. Beyond that, you do not have to answer any questions without your attorney present. If you are pulled over on suspicion of driving under the influence, you will likely be asked to perform a field sobriety test and submit to a breathalyzer test. You may refuse to take the tests; however, if the officer proceeds to arrest you, you may face jail time and license suspension based on the refusal. A knowledgeable DUI attorney can help you avoid the most serious consequences.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google Plus